Development of Stores Bringing Joy to All Customers
MARUI GROUP strives to help all customers enjoy shopping at its stores, regardless of their age or gender, and this sentiment of course extends to senior citizens, people with disabilities, non-Japanese people, and members of the LGBT community. We are thus working to develop comfortable stores from the perspectives of store environment and empathy.
Issues Related to Society and Shopping Centers
Developing comfortable stores requires tracking the issues faced by Japanese society and shopping centers in terms of both store environment and empathy (customer service) and addressing these issues to ensure enjoyable shopping and peace of mind for all.
- Source: Annual Report on the Aging Society, Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, 2016
- Source: Annual Report on Government Measures for Persons with Disabilities, Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, 2015
- Source: LGBT Survey 2015, Dentsu Diversity Lab, DENTSU INC., 2015
- Based on Survey of Measures for Accommodating People with Disabilities (2007) and Survey of Senior Citizens and Nursery School and Preschool Users (2007)
from the Cabinet Office
- Based on Opinion Survey of People with Disabilities (2012)
from the Cabinet Office
Co-Creation with Customers
We are implementing universal design concepts at Marui and Modi stores throughout Japan. For example, when developing Hakata Marui, we incorporated the input of various sources, such as Kyushu University and Lifestyle Design Lab. These organizations helped us identify issues faced by people with disabilities at shopping centers through workshop-style investigations, and we also received feedback from various individuals for input in store development.
- Customers using wheelchairs were invited to participate in planning meetings
- Mirairo inspected facilities to verify ease of use
- Charging spaces equipped with outlets were established to provide peace of mind to customers shopping using electric wheelchairs
- Audio guidance is offered on the first and second floors in part to guide customers with vision impairments
- The heights and functions of chairs on each floor were changed to offer comfort to various customers
- Signs displaying distance to restrooms were installed to offer peace of mind to senior citizens and customers using wheelchairs
- Satoko Suzuki
- Space Produce Department
AIM CREATE CO., LTD.
- An Enjoyable, Barrier-Free Environment for Everyone
- People tend to think of universal design as providing standardized items that can be used by anyone. However, the original purpose of universal design is to be considerate of and address people's individual needs, regardless of whether or not they have a disability. At Hakata Marui, for example, we placed chairs with armrests to make it easier for customers with weak legs to stand up and also established rest spaces where customers can rest while leaning rather than sitting. This store environment is considerate toward customers with disabilities, senior citizens, and a wide range of other customers. I also see the concept of "inclusion" as having consideration for every individual. While we may not be able to satisfy the desires of all customers, our first step should be to build a store environment that customers choose. It is my wish to develop a barrier-free store environment that can be easily enjoyed by everyone.
Messages to Customers
MARUI GROUP aims to be a leader in developing products, services, and stores that bring joy to all customers, regardless of their age, gender, or physical characteristics. Looking ahead to 2020, the year of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, we will strive to guarantee that a pleasurable store experience can be had by people with and without disabilities and by members of the LGBT community and other individuals that do not conform to traditional gender categories.
TOKYO RAINBOW PRIDE 2017
MARUI GROUP took part in TOKYO RAINBOW PRIDE 2017, an event sponsored by TOKYO RAINBOW PRIDE,*1 in May 2017. During the period of the event, rainbow flags were displayed on the front of a total of 12 Marui and Modi stores. In addition, we distributed event flyers and special edition paper shopping bags made for the event. MARUI GROUP also set up a booth at the site of the actual event and exhibited a lineup of all sizes of Rakuchin Kirei series shoes, Rakuchin Kirei series pants, and Order Suits. Many visitors tried on pumps, which were provided in sizes ranging from 19.5 cm to 27.0 cm, and business shoes, which were provided in sizes ranging from 22.5 cm to 30.0 cm—and the reception of these products was quite favorable. Furthermore, a total of 80 employees and other MARUI GROUP representatives volunteered to take part in the event's main draw: the parade. These employees marched in the parade while wearing original MARUI GROUP T-shirts.
In 2016, MARUI GROUP took part in TOKYO RAINBOW PRIDE 2016 as well as the fall RAINBOW PRIDE and RAINBOW FESTA events held in Kyushu and the Kansai region.
- *1 Organization with a motto calling on people to be proud and enjoy being themselves and that seeks to help create a society in which everyone is able to live optimistically and to be themselves, regardless of their sexual preference or their sexual identity; the name "TOKYO RAINBOW PRIDE" is also used for the organization's events.
- Shibuya Modi during TOKYO RAINBOW PRIDE 2017 event period
- MARUI GROUP booth at TOKYO RAINBOW PRIDE 2017
- MARUI GROUP employees that participated in the parade
LGBT Job Seeker Support Events
In February 2017, an event designed to support LGBT job seekers was held at the VISARUNO private brand store in Yurakucho Marui in collaboration with ReBit. The event encouraged job seeking members of the LGBT community to find suits that truly fit them. Through the event, we aimed to help individuals undertake job hunting dressed in a manner that corresponds with their gender identity. Taking advantage of our Order Suits and the wide range of sizes we provide, members of the Yurakucho Marui sales floor staff helped customers choose the suit that best matched who they were.
Job seekers that visited the store during the event period offered their honest opinions. Some stated that they were surprised at how welcoming the store, and by extension the Company, was while others expressed that they did not realize how many sizes were available, suggesting that we advertise this fact more. We hope to utilize such feedback from customers in future initiatives.
Sponsorship of Para-Sports
MARUI GROUP has concluded a partnership with the Japan Blind Football Association (JBFA) through which it sponsors the Japan national men's team and now the national women's team by providing the official suits used by the teams from its ru private brand selection and offering other support.
The JBFA assembled Japan's first national women's blind soccer team in 2017. Together with the JBFA, MARUI GROUP held a send-off party for the national women's team in the plaza in front of Yurakucho Station in April to empower the team before it departed to participate in an international competition. This competition took place in Austria in May, and the Japan national team was able to claim victory despite it being its first time participating.
MARUI GROUP plans to continue supporting blind soccer and other para-sports as part of its efforts to accommodate all customers.
- Japan national women's blind soccer team that claimed victory at its first international competition
- Athletes of the Japan Blind Football Association
Sustainability – Dialogue 01
- A Flourishing and Inclusive Society Offering Happiness to All
Sustainability – Dialogue 02
- Potential of MARUI GROUP's Business from the Perspective of Inclusion
Sustainability – Core Theme 1
- Creation of Products that Bring Joy to All Customers
- Retailing Business – Stores
- FinTech Business – Credit Cards (EPOS Cards)
This sustainability website is designed to accommodate people with color blindness.